Lacrosse is a fast-paced and exciting sport that requires skill, agility, and teamwork. Whether you’re a player, coach, or fan, understanding the dimensions of the equipment used in lacrosse is essential.
A regulation lacrosse goal post has an inside width and height of 6 feet and a depth of 7 feet.
This guide covers equipment and field specs that players and fans should know about beyond the regulation goal posts.
What Is Lacrosse?
Lacrosse is a team sport that involves two opposing teams using a small rubber ball and long-handled sticks, called crosse or lacrosse sticks, to pass, carry, and shoot the ball into the opposing team’s goal to score points.
The game originated among Native American tribes in North America and has since evolved into a popular sport played by both men and women at the amateur and professional levels. It is known for its fast-paced and physical gameplay, requiring speed, agility, and strategic thinking.
Lacrosse Goal Dimensions
Lacrosse goals are an integral part of the game, serving as the target for players to score points. To ensure fairness and consistency, lacrosse governing bodies have established regulations regarding goal dimensions. These dimensions cover the goal frame, netting, and crease area.
Regulation Dimensions for Lacrosse Goals
According to the rules of the game, the regulation dimensions for lacrosse goals are as follows:
- Goal Frame: The width of the goal frame measures 6 feet, while the height is 6 feet for men’s lacrosse and 4 feet for women’s lacrosse. The goal frame is positioned 7 feet away from the face of the goal line.
- Netting: The netting used in lacrosse goals is made of durable material attached to the goal frame. It should be securely fastened to prevent the ball from passing through. The dimensions of the netting should match the dimensions of the goal frame.
Lacrosse Goal Crease Dimensions
The crease area in lacrosse plays a crucial role in determining various aspects of gameplay, such as goalie interference and shooting space. The dimensions of the lacrosse goal crease are as follows:
- Crease Diameter: The diameter of the crease circle is 18 feet for men’s lacrosse and 8.5 feet for women’s lacrosse.
- Crease Line: The crease line extends 9 feet from the center of the goal line, forming a semi-circle.
Other Equipment Dimensions in Lacrosse
Dimensions of Lacrosse Sticks
Lacrosse sticks, also known as crosse, come in different sizes for different players:
- Men’s Lacrosse Stick: The overall length of a men’s lacrosse stick typically ranges from 40 inches to 42 inches, including the head and shaft.
- Women’s Lacrosse Stick: The overall length of a women’s lacrosse stick is usually between 35.5 and 43.25 inches, including the head and shaft.
Dimensions of Lacrosse Balls
Lacrosse balls are solid rubber balls used in the game. The main goal of lacrosse is to throw the ball into the other team’s net. When a player does this, their team earns a point. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins. Their dimensions are standard across all levels of play:
Lacrosse balls have a standard diameter of 7.75 inches and a circumference of 8 inches, ideally colored white or orange. The balls need to be able to bounce properly, so when dropped from a height of 6 feet onto a wooden surface, they should bounce between 45 inches and 49 inches high.
Dimensions of Lacrosse Field
The lacrosse field is where the game is played, and its dimensions vary depending on the level of play:
- Men’s Lacrosse Field: The dimensions of a men’s lacrosse field are 110 yards long and 60 yards wide.
- Women’s Lacrosse Field: The dimensions of a women’s lacrosse field are 120 yards long and 70 yards wide.
What are the dimensions of an LAX goal?
The dimensions of a lacrosse goal, commonly referred to as an LAX goal, are regulated to ensure consistency across the sport. In men’s lacrosse, the goal frame is 6 feet wide and 6 feet high. For women’s lacrosse, the goal frame is 6 feet wide and 4 feet high.
How tall is a men’s lacrosse goal?
A men’s lacrosse goal stands 6 feet tall. This height provides a challenging target for offensive players to aim for when attempting to score a goal.
What is a goal in lacrosse?
In lacrosse, a goal is the primary objective of the offensive team. It occurs when the ball successfully enters the opponent’s goal, passing through the netting and completely crossing the goal line. Scoring a goal earns the offensive team one point.
How big is a men’s lacrosse crease?
The men’s lacrosse crease, also known as the goalie crease or goal circle, has specific dimensions. The crease is a circular area with a diameter of 18 feet. It is positioned in front of the goal and extends 9 feet from the center of the goal line. This area serves as a designated space for the goalie and regulates certain gameplay aspects, such as goalie interference and shooting space.