As September inches closer, the excitement of starting kindergarten grows for both parents and children alike. With the first day of school comes the momentous task of buying a backpack – which can be overwhelming for any parent. Not only are they tasked with finding a backpack that their child will like, but it also has to be the right size to fit books, a lunchbox, and any other necessary items.
A massive backpack is unnecessary for a kindergartener as their school supplies are generally lightweight. Opting for a small-sized backpack or a bag that measures 12 to 15 inches in height and has a storage capacity of 15 to 20 liters, depending on the brand, would be most suitable for your child.
So, what are the kindergarten backpack sizes that parents should be looking for? Let’s dive in and explore the significance of backpack sizing and how it can impact your child’s first academic year.
Kindergarten Backpack sizes:
Although a backpack may not be necessary for children in pre-K, it becomes a valuable asset once they enter kindergarten. With the need to transport items like a lunch box, water bottle, show-and-tell objects, and homework, investing in a backpack is a wise decision for parents.
Related: Standard Backpack Dimensions
School Backpack Sizes:
A backpack ranging from 21 to 30 liters is recommended for school use, as it is the most prevalent size available in the market. Such backpacks offer ample space to accommodate school supplies and books without being too bulky. Additionally, they come with multiple small compartments that provide additional storage options for small items.
Kindergarten Essential Supplies:
For a child to be equipped for school, they will need an assortment of supplies, which includes a box of crayons, a set of markers, a pencil case, a pair of scissors, five pencils, a black marker, a bottle of glue, a glue stick, an eraser, two boxes of Kleenex tissues, a ruler, at least three notebooks, a lunchbox or a packed lunch, and a water bottle to remain hydrated throughout the day.
Features To Consider In A Kindergarten Backpack:
When choosing a backpack for a kindergarten-aged child, there are several features to consider. Here are some key features to look for:
- Size: Choose an appropriately sized backpack for your child’s age and size. It should be big enough to hold all the essentials but not so large that it overwhelms your child.
- Durability: A kindergarten backpack should be made from sturdy materials and have strong zippers and stitching. It will be subjected to wear and tear, so it needs to hold up to daily use.
- Comfort: Look for a backpack with padded shoulder straps and a padded back panel. This will help prevent discomfort and strain on your child’s back and shoulders.
- Safety: Reflective materials or bright colors can help your child stay visible when walking to and from school or in low-light conditions. Additionally, backpacks with chest straps can help distribute the weight evenly and prevent the backpack from slipping off.
- Compartments: A backpack with multiple compartments can help your child stay organized and make it easier to find what they need. Look for a backpack with a large main compartment and additional pockets for water bottles, snacks, and other items.
- Design: Choose a design that your child will love and feel excited about wearing. This can help them feel more comfortable and confident at school.
What is the right size of a backpack for kindergarten?
The right size of the backpack for kindergarten is typically small to medium-sized. It should not be too big or too heavy for the child to carry comfortably on their back.
How many Litres is a kindergarten backpack?
A kindergarten backpack usually has a capacity of 5-10 liters, though this may vary depending on the brand and style.
What size backpack for a child?
The size of a backpack for a child would depend on their age, height, and the number of items they need to carry. As a general guideline, a primary school child (ages 5-8) would need a backpack with a capacity of around 10-15 liters, while an older child (ages 9-12) may need a larger backpack with a capacity of 20-25 liters.
What size backpack is good for preschool?
A backpack with a capacity of 5-10 liters would be appropriate for preschool-aged children. It should be small and lightweight enough for them to carry comfortably, and able to fit their snacks, water bottles, and other essentials.