Foam board is a popular material used in a variety of applications, including presentation and display, mounting artwork, and even as a backing for framing projects. One important aspect to consider when using foam board is the size, as different projects may require different dimensions. In this article, we will discuss the standard foam board size and how to choose the right size for your project.
Foam boards are available in a variety of sizes, from 8×10 inches to 36×48 inches. Additionally, custom-sized foam boards can be ordered, with dimensions of up to 100 inches or more on each side. The thickness of these boards ranges from 0.125 inches to half an inch.
Standard Sizes Of Foam Boards
Foam board, also known as foam core or foam core board, is a popular material that can be found in a variety of places, such as grocery stores, shopping centers, and even science fairs. It is an incredibly versatile material as it is lightweight and can be easily cut into any size or shape. This makes styrofoam perfect for a wide range of applications.
Foam boards are available in different sizes depending on the supplier.
8 × 10 inches 16 × 20 inches 18 × 24 inches 24 × 26 inches 26 × 48 inches
When it comes to thickness, you have a variety of choices. You can choose between 0.125-inch and 0.5-inch thick materials for your project.
Foam board is available in standard ISO 216 printing paper sizes, from A0 to A8. To give you an idea of the different sizes these boards come in, here’s a handy table with their measurements in centimeters, millimeters, meters, and inches:
|Foam Board Format||Width x Height (inch)||Width x Height (cm)||Width x Height (mm)||Width x Height (Meter)|
|A0||33.1 x 46.8 in||84.1 x 118.9 cm||841 x 1189 mm||.841 x 1.189 m|
|A1||23.4 x 33.1 in||59.4 x 84.1 cm||594 x 841 mm||.594 x .841 m|
|A2||16.5 x 23.4 in||42 x 59.4 cm||420 x 594 mm||.420 x .594 m|
|A3||11.7 x 16.5 in||29.7 x 42 cm||297 x 420 mm||.297 x .42 m|
|A4||8.3 x 11.7 in||21. x 29.7 cm||210 x 297 mm||.210 x .297 m|
|A5||5.8 x 8.3 in||14.8 x 21 cm||148 mm||.148 x .210 m|
|A6||4.1 x 5.8 in||10.5 x 14.8 cm||105 x 148 mm||.105 x .148 m|
|A7||2.9 x 4.1 in||7.4 x 10.5 cm||74 x 105 mm||.074 x .105 m|
|A8||2 x 2.9||5.2 x 7.4 cm||52 x 74 mm||.052 x .074 m|
When it comes to thickness, you can choose between 1 and 10 millimeters.
Custom-sized foam boards can be sourced from suppliers, with some offering up to 100 x 100 inches in size. However, please note that there might be a delay in delivery due to the extra time needed for customization.
The ideal thickness for the foam board depends on the size of the sheet. Generally, larger sheets should be thicker in order to provide stability during display.
What Is The Common Thickness Of Foam Board?
The most common thicknesses are 3/16 inch, 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch. The appropriate thickness for a particular project will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the project.
What Is The Use Of Foam Boards?
It is a lightweight and easily cut material that is commonly used for crafts, hobbies, and display projects. It is made of a thin layer of foam sandwiched between two sheets of paper or cardstock, which gives it rigidity and strength. Some common uses for foam board include:
- Mounting photographs, artwork, or other documents
- Creating 3D models, dioramas, or other display projects
- Making signs, posters, or other visual aids
- Crafting and construction projects
- Packaging and shipping delicate items
- Insulation and temperature control
It is also available in a range of colors, including white, black, and various shades of gray.
What Is The Easiest And Right Way To Cut Foam Boards?
There are a few ways to cut foam boards, and the easiest method will depend on the tools you have available and the precision you need in your cut. Here are a few options:
- Use a sharp hobby knife: If you need to make precise this is a good option, straight cuts or curves. Simply score the foam board with the knife, applying gentle but firm pressure, then snap the board along the scored line.
- Use a pair of scissors: This is a quick and easy option for rough cuts, especially if you are cutting out large, simple shapes. Scissors may not be precise enough for fine detail work, but they can get the job done in a pinch.
- Use a hot wire foam cutter: This is a tool that uses a thin wire that is heated to a high temperature to slice through the foam. Hot wire foam cutters are precise and can make clean straight cuts, but they can be expensive and may not be suitable for all types of foam board.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to use caution and follow safety guidelines to avoid injury.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Foam Board
Here are some pros and cons of using foam board:
- Lightweight: This board is very lightweight, making it easy to carry and handle. This is especially useful for large projects that need to be moved frequently.
- Easy to cut: You can easily cut with a knife or scissors, which makes it a versatile material for a wide range of projects.
- Versatile: They can be used for a variety of projects, including mounting photographs, creating display projects, and making signs and posters.
- Inexpensive: It is generally inexpensive compared to other materials, making it an affordable option for many projects.
- Not very strong: While foam board is rigid, it is not very strong and can be easily damaged if subjected to too much weight or pressure.
- Can be flimsy: Because it is made of a thin layer of foam sandwiched between two sheets of paper, foam board can be flimsy and prone to bending or warping.
- Limited color options: It is generally only available in white, black, and shades of gray, which can limit the color options for some projects.
- May not be suitable for outdoor use: Foam board is not designed for outdoor use and can become damaged if exposed to the elements for an extended period of time.
What is the typical foam board size?
The typical foam board size can vary, but the most common dimensions are 20 inches by 30 inches (50.8 cm by 76.2 cm) or 22 inches by 28 inches (55.9 cm by 71.1 cm). However, other sizes are also available depending on the manufacturer and specific requirements.
What size is A4 Foamboard?
A4 foam board typically measures 8.3 inches by 11.7 inches (21 cm by 29.7 cm). A4 is a standard paper size used in many countries, and foam boards are often produced in this size to accommodate A4-sized documents or artworks.
What size is a standard Foamcore?
The standard foam core size is usually 20 inches by 30 inches (50.8 cm by 76.2 cm). Foamcore is a popular type of foam board used in various applications, such as mounting photographs, creating displays, or constructing models. It offers a lightweight and rigid surface that is easy to cut and work with.
What size is an A2 foam board?
A2 foam board measures 16.5 inches by 23.4 inches (42 cm by 59.4 cm). A2 is a common paper size that is frequently used for posters, drawings, and other larger documents. Foam boards in this size are suitable for displaying or mounting A2-sized materials, providing a sturdy backing for presentations or artwork.