Ping pong, also known as table tennis, is a popular game worldwide. The game is played with a small round ball called a ping pong ball. While there is no universal standard for ping pong ball dimensions, the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) has established an official size recommended for tournament play.
Ping-Pong balls measure 1.57 inches (40 mm) in diameter and 4.94 inches (125.6 mm) in circumference. Each ball weighs .095 ounces (2.7 g).
So in this post, we will explore the dimensions of a ping pong ball and how they affect gameplay. If you are curious to know more about ping pong balls, please continue reading.
What is the Ping Pong Ball Dimensions?
The size of a ping pong ball can be determined by its measurements, as it is a perfectly symmetrical three-dimensional circular object.
Here are the complete dimensions of a standard ping pong ball according to ITTF.
- Radius (r) = 20 mm
- Diameter (D) = 2 x 20 = 40 mm
- Circumference = 4.94 inches or 125.66 mm
- Surface Area = 5026.55 mm2
- Volume = 33510.32 mm3
|Radius||0.79”||2 cm||20 mm|
|Diameter||1.57”||4 cm||40 mm|
|Circumference||4.95”||12.57 cm||125.66 mm|
|Surface Area||7.79 in2||50.27 cm2||5026.55 mm2|
|Volume||2 in3||33.51 cm3||33,510.32 mm3|
What Is The Weight of a Ping Pong Ball?
A ping pong ball weighs approximately 2.67 to 2.77 grams. This is the standard weight for official competitions and tournaments.
What Material Is Used In Ping Pong Balls?
Ping pong balls are made of a celluloid plastic material. Celluloid is a type of thermoplastic that was invented in the 19th century and was widely used in the manufacturing of various items such as photographic film, combs, and toys.
Celluloid is a versatile material that is easy to mold and shape and can be produced in different colors and sizes. It is also relatively inexpensive, which makes it a suitable choice for the production of ping pong balls. Celluloid ping pong balls are lightweight and have a smooth surface, which makes them ideal for playing table tennis.
Related: What Are The Hula Hoop Sizes?
How to Measure the Quality of a Table Tennis Ball?
Ping pong balls are also classified into three categories based on the number of stars, which is another way to judge their quality:
- Three-star: These balls are of the highest quality and are used in official competitions and tournaments. They are the most consistent in terms of size, weight, roundness, bounce, and durability. They are usually made of celluloid and are the most expensive.
- Two-star: These are slightly lower in quality as compared to three-star balls, but are still suitable for practice and training. These balls could have slight variations in size, weight, and bounce, and are less expensive than three-star balls.
- One-star: One star balls are the lowest quality and are intended for casual play and recreation. They may also have significant variations in size, weight, and bounce, and may not be as durable as three-star and two-star balls. They are the most affordable among the three.
It’s important to note that while the star rating system can be used as a general guide, the quality of the balls can vary depending on the brand and manufacturer.
How to Play Ping Pong?
Ping pong is a sport played by two or four players on a rectangular table with a net in the middle. The aim of the game is to hit a lightweight ball back and forth across the net, with the goal of making it difficult for your opponent to return the ball.
Here are the basic rules and steps for playing ping pong:
- Equipment: You will need a ping pong table, a net, a ball, and paddles (also called rackets or bats).
- Set up: Set up the table, net, and paddles according to the official regulations. The ball should be placed on the table at the center of the net, ready for service.
- Service: The game begins with a serve, where the server hits the ball over the net to the opponent’s side of the table. The ball must be served diagonally, and the opponent must let the ball bounce once on their side of the table before returning it.
- Playing the game: Players take turns hitting the ball back and forth across the net, trying to make it difficult for their opponent to return the ball. A point is scored when the opponent fails to return the ball, hits the ball out of bounds, or hits the ball twice in succession.
- Scoring: The first player to reach 11 points wins the game, with a minimum lead of 2 points over the opponent. If the game ends in a tie at 10-10, the game must be won by a margin of 2 points.
- Rules: The ball must be hit with the racket and not the hand or other parts of the body. The ball must stay within the boundaries of the table and not touch the floor.
What is the diameter of a ping-pong ball in MM?
The diameter of a standard ping-pong ball is approximately 40 millimeters (mm).
Is a ping-pong ball about the same size?
Yes, a ping-pong ball is generally about the same size as other standard ping-pong balls, with a diameter of around 40 mm.
What size are ping pong balls and golf balls?
Ping-pong balls typically have a diameter of about 40 mm, while golf balls have a larger diameter of approximately 42.7 mm.
What is the ping-pong ball?
A ping-pong ball is a lightweight and hollow spherical ball used in the sport of table tennis. It is made of celluloid or similar plastics and features a matte finish. The ball is designed to have a consistent weight, size, and bounce for fair gameplay.